We had so much fun picking through the jewelry we collected and trying out different layouts.
If you'd like to make your own,
- collect more jewelry that you think you'll ever need from every garage sale and thrift store in your area
- the more colored rhinestone pieces the better
- get lots of colored pearl strings for the base layer
- also, get several tubes of E6000 glue (Michaels and Joann carry it)
- I like beveled mirrors with gold and silver frames for a base
Here you can see we started covering the base mirror with colored pearl strings.
The inspiration was a mirror that my grandma (my mom's mom) had hanging in her dining room. It was the first thing I would run to see (after my grandparents, of course!) when we arrived to their house in Madison, Wisconsin. The mirror was made by my grandma's friend, Mrs. Fenski. Over the years, the jewelry dropped off. A few years ago, I inherited the mirror and restored it with jewelry from my Aunt Doris, and it proudly hangs in my entryway:
If you do one, please send me pictures!!