This past week was my daugher Olivia's 12th birthday. (That I can't believe she's already 12 is a whole 'nother post...) Anyhow, we had a Winter Wonderland themed party for Miss Thang, and here was her Snow Globe cake. It was such a hit that all of her friends were taking pictures of the cake with their cellphones before we cut it!
If you would like to make (or I should say assemble ) your own, you will need:
- One 10" round layer cake from your local grocery store bakery, frosted light blue and piped in white on the borders, white polka dots on the sides
- Several plastic snowflakes (these happened to be snowflake rings)
- Winter scene foam stickers (Michaels)
- (1) 8" round glass 'Blanda' bowl from Ikea ($4.99. Perfectly round and clear.)
- Large white round edible non-pareils (from cake section in Michaels) or white sprinkles...
- Press plastic snowflakes onto side of cake.
- Assemble snow scene with foam stickers. To make scene look good from all angles, I stuck identical stickers together, back to back.
- Accent snow scene with edible round white non-pareils.
- Carefully invert bowl over snow scene.
- Enjoy the compliments!
This would also make a great anytime cake for a snow globe collector. Just change the scene inside!
How about having one of the little characters holding a sign for the recipient?